Sunday, June 20, 2004

Father's Favorite



Do we all get set in our ways the older we get? Is it comforting to return to the things we know and understand? Does the idea of change inherently scare or frighten us away from new experiences? I couldn't help but consider these questions since we celebrated Father's Day today.

I love my dad, but thinking about his dining preferences always makes me laugh. My memories of eating out when I was growing up center on two restaurants: McDonalds and Wyatts. If my dad wanted fast food, it was a double cheeseburger and vanilla shake at Micky D's. If we were to go out as a family for a sit down affair, it was Wyatts Cafeteria for our choice of entree with "mo water, tea, or coffee". And this selection seldom changed except for the occasional trip to Church's Chicken for take away, some Chinese when the mood struck, or pizza delivered by any of the local joints. Yes, my father knew what he liked and he liked to eat at the same place over and over again.

Things haven't changed much over the years. Today we ate at Furr's for lunch with my dad. Back in February we ate there to celebrate his birthday. I'll bet we've been there for at least five of the last seven commemorative occasions. And it's not like my dad doesn't like other foods or restaurants. He's always more than happy to join us for dinners elsewhere. But when it's his preference as to where we go to eat, it's a sure bet he'll say Furr's nowadays.

I shouldn't act so surprised, because I have my favorite restaurants, too. I guess I just have more of them than my dad. I like Johnny Carino's, Breadwinners, Kathleen's Art Cafe, i Fratelli's, Rockfish, John Mueller's BBQ, Abuelo's, Captain Nemo's, Freebird's, Angelo's, Pancho's, Quizno's, Double Dave's, Wingstop... and the list goes on. Moreover, both Jodie and I have noticed how often we'll order the same meal when dining out at certain places. Give me the crawfish trio when we're at Pappadeaux and serve her the shrimp caesar salad. At Outback she likes the Alice Springs Chicken and I always order a Victoria's Filet cooked medium. So, I'm not without fault when it comes to returning to the same dish or restaurant to enjoy a good meal. But to limit yourself to just one or two establishments seems so strange. Isn't variety the spice of life? Aren't we supposed to enjoy experiencing new things?

I know that my willingness to take chances and my penchant to try what's different or unusual has paid off on numerous occasions as I have found some really good eateries and meals that I otherwise wouldn't have found had I stayed with what was familiar to me. Sure, there have been some disappointing misses along with the hits; but you must accept the risk in order to potentially be rewarded in the end. And besides, I truly like to try new things. While there is a certain comfort in enjoying favorite meals or restaurants, it's very exciting to discover a "new" favorite dish or location. Like our parents used to suggest, "How can you know whether or not you'll like it without at least trying it first?".

I know it's futile to predict things about what may happen or what is to come: the future has a knack for providing its own changes that we don't anticipate. But I know my tastes and it's safe to say that I won't be limiting myself on my eating options years from now when I'm asked to choose where we're eating to celebrate my special day. I can't imagine having narrowed down my choices to just one favorite.

Well, at least I don't see myself inviting everyone to join me at Furr's... again.

2 Comments:

at Sun Jun 27, 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Andy & Wendy said...

Butterfinger Milk was a stretch.
I think you forgot to list Mia's on your list. Well the margarita's anyway. $6.50 for six ounces.

 
at Tue Jun 29, 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Lee said...

How could I forget Mia's? It's my most favorite overrated restaurant by far!

 

make a comment

<< A Musing