Defining Moment

I heard the story of the rich young ruler powerfully preached today at church. The preacher used this story to demonstrate the decisions we face in what was emphasized as crossing the threshold of defining moments in our lives; in this case, the defining moment of the Christ decision. It even used a clip from the movie Monsters Inc. to introduce the message.
This sermon was one of the best explanations I have heard as to what it means to accept Christ. The sermon explored the question the rich young ruler asked, including the response given by Jesus, to teach that we must acknowledge our sinfulness before God, who alone is good, and that in order to enter into heaven we must first follow Christ to the Cross. Only then can we be "changed" by grace and saved from an eternity in hell. (Previously in the service during our time of singing we learned that "changed" in sign language is signified by a hand gesture that represents a 180 degree turn in our position.)
The preaching was bold, illuminating, and heartfelt. It was also one of the few times I have heard the Gospel message preached on a Sunday morning in such an immediate and straightforward manner. This sermon along with the others I have heard preached at Pantego Bible Church clearly speaks the truth of God's Word into my heart. I know that Jodie and I are blessed to be attending services there and I thank God for bringing us to this church so close to our home.
I feel like our decision to visit PBC last autumn and our subsequent decisions to return every Sunday have become a defining moment of our spiritual journey together.
0 Comments:
make a comment
<< A Musing