Circle of Friends
Since mom was in town this past weekend, we've been visiting with family friends that we haven't seen in a while. It's been great catching up with the Waldrips (Ben and Catie have grown so much), the Boniols (Steph just got married), and the Funk/Crooks family (Savannah's getting older). While we don't see each other all that often throughout the year we sure enjoy the times we do have to spend together.
This coming weekend I'm looking forward to seeing Tommy and Catie Moon at church. Catie's preparing to start at A&M at the end this month. (Can you believe it?!) While Tommy and Sue have been missionaries across the border I've treasured all the brief, scattered times we've been able to share together whether they were stateside ("Gopher?") or in Costa Rica (I still need to visit them in Puebla). Good friends always hold a special place in our hearts no matter the distance.
I've got great friends I've grown up with that I get to see at all sorts of weird occassions like when someone comes in from out of town (usually the Barretts, Chiabottas, or Hunt), on traditional and non-traditional holidays (Halloween at the Knott's house and Festivus at our place), whenever Mike leaves/comes back to the country (both my brother Mike and Mike Walker), and anytime we can scare up a game of Monopoly, Puerto Rico, or Catch Phrase ("Read a #@*?%$& book!"). I cherish the memories I have of time spent with my friends.
I have seen throughout my life what a blessing good friends have been. And the Lord has indeed blessed me with many really good friends. I remember Tommy once talked about how the friends in our life are like circles or rings. Those closest to us comprise the inner most circle. Others fill up several outer rings around us according to the strength of each individual friendship. But no matter how many circles of friends we may have, our rings should keep growing ever larger and wider as we offer our friendship to others. Additionally, we should grow ever closer to our friends such that more and more friends move toward that closest circle where love, trust, and respect are mutually shared. Our group of friends should grow larger as our friendships grow deeper.
That lesson was never lost on me and I have reaped many benefits from following Tommy's teaching. I have friends who have supported me through hard and difficult times in my life just as I have been able to support them in their times of need. My joys and the joys of my friends have been magnified by sharing them with one another. My friends have become like family to me as I've grown closer to my friends and their families.
And my circle of friends has never stopped growing.
0 Comments:
make a comment
<< A Musing