Monday, July 12, 2004

Back from Camp

I'm back home now after having spent last week at IMPACT Camp. A few photos at this site give a glimpse of our activities. (I'm in the second photo preparing to declare a start in the tug-o-war. Follow the links for previous days to see more photos.)

I was the director of camp this year and was blessed to have one of my best friends, Kory Knott, as the camp speaker. Kory and I, along with our third amigo Andy, grew up at this camp as youth and have shared many memories at IMPACT Camps on Lake Bridgeport, Lake Texhoma, and Camp Copass over the years. We attended first as campers and then as we grew older as counselors, directors, and speakers. While Andy and I have spent time together leading camps before, this was the first time for Kory and I to do so together. And since I feel this may have been my last year at IMPACT Camp, I was glad to have finally had the opportunity to share the leadership of camp with Kory. While we never did make the trifecta of all three of us involved in leadership at once, at least we have some shared experiences of giving back to that camp for all that it meant to us in years past.

This year's camp (like all the others) proved to be a great experience. There was spirit-filled worship, good fellowship, and many memorable moments. It was rewarding to witness how God used our talents and ideas to minister to the youth who attended. Kory's preaching and stories challenged kids to re-subscribe to and become active participants in their faith. Wednesday night's awesome silence at the close of worship prepared many of the youth's hearts for Thursday night's intimate worship setting where they grew closer to God through the different experiental elements which were set up at stations around the room. The youth washed one another's feet, reflected upon their relationship to God, prayed in silence, created art to praise Him, journaled their thoughts, and symbolically cast aside their burdens in a very moving and emotional time of worship.

During my time at camp I personally enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow youthworkers and received a sense of peace concerning a decision I've been contemplating for months. I shared many laughs and prayers with Mark, Phil, Sabrina, the other counselors, the work crew of Mandy and Jason, and especially my cohort Don. These guys are all very talented and gifted individuals who gave of themselves to help make IMPACT such a success this year and I felt spiritually uplifted through our Christian fellowship together. By the time camp was over I knew I would miss their company as my decision to make a change in my life will most likely preclude me from attending again next year. But I finally feel good about making that change.

My experience this year has been bitterweet knowing it probably signifies the end of my involvement at IMPACT. Just as in previous years, God has used five days in the middle of the summer to grab my attention and bring me closer to Him. I now look forward to what lies ahead for me as I remember fondly all the times I spent at IMPACT Camp and what a blessing it has been in my life since I was in junior high.

I pray for the continued success of IMPACT Camp and for those who will lead it in the future.