Thursday, January 06, 2005

Seeing

Our eyes don't actually see things. Not really. Although we can look with our eyes, we can't see with them. There's a difference. Just ask someone who's blind; they can see.

When I look at the world my eyes collect the light reflected off objects in my field of vision to create an image just as a camera captures pictures with a lens. Likewise, when I look at objects I can even focus my eyes to bring out details or blur my vision to obscure what my eyes behold. That's not the same as seeing.

While looking can assist us in seeing it takes something else besides our eyes to see things. Seeing involves recognition. We only see when we are able to comprehend. For example, I can look at a multitude of red and orange hues above a jagged line of increasingly darkening shadows; but, what I see is a beautiful sunset. That's the difference.

Try closing your eyes and imagining a favorite scene from your memory. I'm imagining a beach I once visited with Tommy Moon along the coast of Costa Rica. Deep blue waves gently crash upon the white sandy shore. A few small boats have dropped anchor in the bay. Rocky cliffs off in the distance rise up from the land where the water and sand meet. Large palm trees are scattered about. There are other swimmers and sunbathers on the beach respectively playing in the water and resting on the sand. (Remember, this is Central America so most guys are wearing skimpy briefs instead of modest trunks like Tommy and I.) Behind me lies the tropical rain forest that we've just traveled through to reach this pristine, natural setting. It's quite a sight.

I once looked at this scene but now I see its image from memory. My eyes did not aid me as I thought about this recollection. More than that though you,too, were probably able to see something from my description that resembled what I imagined. For instance, what did you see when I mentioned the difference in swimming attire? (Did you see an overweight man who had no business donning a speedo?) Seeing is not a faculty of our senses. It is the result of understanding. Therefore, we have a lot to learn before we can truly see.

Ah, but is learning the same thing as understanding?

1 Comments:

at Sat Jan 08, 09:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good article - Jim

 

make a comment

<< A Musing