My Road Trip

With a few days to myself, I headed south for a road trip to the hill country this past weekend. Despite 100 degree temperatures outside I still enjoyed the change of scenery and the chance to play disc golf at six courses along I-35 and west of Austin that were new to me. Starting in Waco and passing through Temple, I drove from Bertram to Lago Vista and beyond all the way to Dripping Springs just to fling discs and hike around under the Texas sun. Throw in a late night movie before retiring to my Jeep at a roadside rest area on TX 29 along with a stop the following afternoon at John Mueller's BBQ in Austin (my absolute favorite except for McVey's own smoked BBQ) and that makes for one adventurous two-day excursion.
Although exhausted by my journey's end, I witnessed several inspiring natural scenes of beauty that excited and amazed me during my trip. First, out in the country the stars in the sky were simply beautiful. Sometimes I forget just how much one can see away from the bright lights until I travel outside city limits every once in a while and look up into a clear and moonlit night. What a view! Streaks of shooting stars across the heavens never looked so good. Second, just driving along FM 1431 west of Austin provided grand views atop the crest of almost every hill as I traveled from place to place throughout the countryside. I rather enjoyed traveling along the long and winding road as I passed several lakes and valleys and towns, a few state parks, a private campground or two, and dozens of motorcyclists out for leisurely morning rides. It made the time pass pleasantly between stops. Third, I came closer to deer than I ever thought possible at every place I stopped to play disc golf on Saturday. At four different courses I played by, around, and amidst herds of deer. I was amazed at just how close they would allow me to get before becoming skiddish and moving further away. I was able to approach within twenty-five or closer of the deer as I played the holes and this happened at every course that day. It made for some memorable rounds of golf.
My road trip was just what I needed and more than I expected: it was a break from the routine filled with wonderful moments in appreciation of nature's beauty.
0 Comments:
make a comment
<< A Musing