Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Tactile Pleasure

With all the rains we've had lately, I've been watching silt and dirt accumulate in a vacant lot across the street from us for several weeks. Now, up against a plastic barrier designed to keep debris from blowing out of that yard sits a wall of red mud. The wet earth looks like a lava flow slowing moving across the ground towards the curb, hoping to break free of its confines and spill over into the street. Looking out my window, I couldn't help but wonder if that mound of mud was as soft and deep as it appeared. Once I ventured outside to get a closer look though, it didn't take long for me to find out.

To my delight I discovered the ground yielded softly to the weight of my steps as my feet momentarily disappeared into shallow impressions. The mud squished all around and between my toes. Water sloshed up against my ankles and shins. It felt like being at the beach and walking along the shore except whereas sand usually feels gritty to the touch this mud felt very smooth and silky. Everywhere I walked left a record of my passing: half empty footprints filled with murky water defined my path.

The mud clinged first to my feet and then to my legs as I found hidden sinkholes scattered about. My walking turned into careful and intentional stepping, which eventually gave way to scrambling and climbing into and out of deep holes. By the time I was done mud covered my legs all the way up to my knees.

With my curiosity satiated I returned home and hosed off. The water washing down my legs felt as cool as the mud that just moments earlier encased my skin. What a neat sensation. What a simple pleasure. I was knee deep in mud today and it felt great.

When was the last time you played in the mud?