Saturday, August 07, 2004

Abuzz With Wildlife



Behind our house is a field that leads to the West Fork of the Trinity River about a mile or so away. It's a serene scene with lots of grass, some trees, and an old barn in the woods. And it's filled with all sorts of wildlife.

We regularly see mockingbirds, robins, and cardinals. Hummingbirds visit our feeder daily. We've begun affectionately calling them "hummies". I awoke one morning last month to find a large hawk sitting on the back fence scouting for its breakfast in the field—it was awesome! I've seen others flying high overhead in the mornings and evenings. And occasionally, white heron-like birds can be seen in the direction of the water. So, we've got plenty of winged creatures flying about.

Of course there are snakes and spiders. Lots of spiders. I've caught a few rats or mice that have stumbled into the garage. I even caught two on the same mouse trap once! And then there are some unseen things that make the grass move whenever we walk near to the fence. That's always fun to guess what it could be.

I've seen a wolf or coyote trotting far out in the field and my neighbor's seen the reflection of light in its eyes in the woods late at night. Maybe that's why I don't see a lot of cats running around out here. (Hey, doesn't Pepper want to come out and play?) That's about it for large wildlife.

Rounding out our collection of outdoor critters are butterflies, dragonflies, frogs, crickets, lightning bugs, wasps, and yellow jackets. And tonight we added one more natural neighbor to the list. It was a real treat when Jodie recognized an owl's hoot that could faintly be heard in the breeze. It was a soft, pleasant sound.

Much better than the constant buzzing of all these mosquitos.

4 Comments:

at Sun Aug 08, 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Andy & Wendy said...

Hey it's Pepper. Although, I appreciate you offer, I think the drive and the arrangement at your house sounds a little "fishy". I imagine being left outside, which is contrary to my present arrangement here. So I will have to pass on the visit, which could have been quite "cat"astrophic. Thanks, Pepper

 
at Sun Aug 08, 04:22:00 PM, Blogger Andy & Wendy said...

Lee, did you catch the hawk and hermedically seal it and put it in the freezer?

 
at Sun Aug 08, 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Ha ha! No, I wasn't able to "save" that one. I don't think it would have fit, anyways. It was huge!

 
at Thu Aug 12, 12:32:00 PM, Blogger Lee said...

No disc golf course yet. Still waiting to see what the parks department is going to do with that space. They plan on putting some kind of park there eventually (probably a long time down the road). I just don't know if it'll be a jogging trail, playground, or whatever.

 

make a comment

<< A Musing