Sunday, July 03, 2005

Saints Helmet





Traveling along Lamar in Austin I passed a huge Saints helmet atop the entrance to a local tavern. I had to stop and take a picture. (I was thinking of you, Cary.) You could't miss seeing it because it's size is unbelievably big. At first I didn't notice, but upon closer inspection it didn't take long for me to realize what familiar object was giving the sculpture its curved form. Whoever created this artwork cleverly pieced together and painted the helmet from the shell of an old VW Beetle. The car's body lended itself beautifully to the design of the helmet. The front hood was folded flat against the back of the helmet while the rear of the vehicle was chopped off to form the opening where even the former bumpers were used to create the facemask. (Click on the photos for a larger view.)

Genius!

1 Comments:

at Sun Jul 31, 01:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, thanks for thinking of me! Secondly, we need to get together. We miss you guys. Third, does anyone have an old VW Beetle???

Cary

 

make a comment

<< A Musing