Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Swinging Ladies

I watched the Triplets of Belleville tonight. What a great, quirky animated film—such memorable characters and brilliant scenes! The level of artwork in the animation is amazing. It's a joy to watch. It's also a joy to hear. Since dialogue is scant, the story moves along to the accompaniment of a wonderful and amusing soundtrack. Playing old swing jazz numbers, the title's namesake, a trio of women called the Triplets of Belleville, sing upbeat, catchy, toe-tapping songs that even include the use of inventive instruments a la Stomp.

Overall, I found the storytelling to be very good and the film to be most entertaining. I even laughed at the scenes in the film that satirize all Americans as large, overweight, hamburger-eating gluttons. (As Groucho Marx once said, "Hey, I resemble that remark.") Despite the unusual medium, this film's worth a look.

My recommedation: rent it, watch it, and be amused.