Wednesday, August 11, 2004

There's One Born Every Minute

"Would you enjoy being your own boss one day?"

"We're looking for really motivated, enthusiastic individuals to join our team."

"I don't want to bore you with the details, but this is a great opportunity."

"It's not really about selling as much as it's about building relationships."

"We're looking to expand our business five-, ten-, twenty-fold in the next 2-5 years with the help of great people like yourself."

"You'd be getting in on the ground floor so just think of the potential."

"Are you ready to be a _________ ?" (Insert important-sounding official title here like Associate Assistant Sales Production Quality Partner Representative of XYZ Co.)
Wow!

You really set yourself up by going on blind interviews off ads in the paper. It hasn't taken me too long to figure out already that I need to find another way to become employed by a reputable company, because these interviews just aren't working (no pun intended).

I have already shook hands countless times with numerous smiling people (I think they smile because they imagine the word "sucker" on my forehead), listened to highly energetic sales pitches about products that'll "revolutionize an industry", walked around a neighborhood in Saginaw and gone door-to-door as part of a second interview to "observe sales methods", and been pressured on more than one occasion to sign a form and invest x amount of dollars to secure my spot with a company or receive my starter kit and certificate. There has to be more than just direct sales and networking positions available out there.

If not, I've got a list of 100 friends and family that should hear about this amazing offer and opportunity!

1 Comments:

at Thu Aug 12, 05:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there....BUT....refused to play their game.

 

make a comment

<< A Musing